Monday, February 23, 2009

Nuggets on Leadership pt 1

Nuggets on Leadership pt 1
“God mould me and shape me to my full leadership potential” Bill Hybels
A very inspirational & challenging book

There are many books, DVD’s and videos on Leadership but the greatest leader for me is Jesus Christ. Mark 10:45 and Phillipians 2:5. He displayed such humility, with servant leadership and yet had so much authority. His ‘silence’ amidst the injustice done to him to the point of death is indescribable, and he still prays ‘father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing.’ I think that’s absolute, pure LOVE, PERFECT in every sense.

Some Leaders lives I find so admirable with lessons that are applicable are:
1. William Wilberforce – One person can change their times but they can’t do it alone. His faith in Jesus sustained him in his battle to end transatlantic slavery but also the ongoing encouragement of his community.
2. Dr Martin Luther King Jr– “I have a dream…”encapsulates purpose, passion and inspiration.
3. Nelson Mandela – Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means being imprisoned or death.
4. Sir Winston Churchill – Never give in, never give in – never, never, never, never
5. Nehemiah – Rebuilding the Wall, even in the midst of internal and external opposition, became his purpose and passion.
6. Joyce Meyer –Practical Christianity at it’s best. Making something beautiful…..
7. Esther – Born for such a time as this…
8. Barak Obama – “I think I can…..” turning a new page in American History.

Other leaders who offer gems are:

1. The first person you lead is you: John Maxwell
2. The spirit of leadership is to be in the nature of servant leadership………. Self-giving love to serve others: John Hosier
3. Trust is the foundation of leadership….. character and leadership go hand in hand: John Maxwell
4. Leadership develops daily, not in a day: John Maxwell
5. People first, then do; Tricia Neill
6. True leadership is a product of inspiration. Not manipulation; Dr. Miles Munroe
7. What makes a true leader? It is an attitude of the heart; Dr. Miles Munroe

One of my all time favourites by Tricia Neill

How far have I come and how best am I applying these gems to my life? Interesting question in interesting times!
Stay tuned for Nuggets on Leadership Part 2 coming up soon.
By Molly Manhanga

No comments: