Saturday, May 2, 2009

Overcoming the Identity Crisis......pt 2

Start seeing yourself the way God sees you


In part 1 we saw how Your identity is your individuality or personality and one of the greatest crises in the world today is that of identity.
Who are you really? Are you who the world says or thinks you are? We looked at Jesus knew who He was; He was one man that never suffered identity crisis.

David’s family evaluated him from the natural standpoint while Joseph’s brothers didn’t believe in his dreams.

You might even be assessing yourself by your own opinion of yourself; who do you say or think you are? Your opinion of yourself could be a combination of who the world and others say you are, on one hand and on the other, your background and past experiences. Gideon formed his opinion of himself by his family background. He said to the angel: “O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.” (Judges 6:15) Gideon’s experience had been that of Midianite oppression of his people which had not only left them poor but had also stripped them of every confidence. Your past ugly experiences might have made you into someone with a very poor self esteem, because you’ve allowed them to form your opinion of yourself, you have used them to appraise yourself. Some people have experienced broken relationships or other forms of disappointments or rejection and they have allowed them to define who they are.

….Who am I really? I am definitely not who the world or others say I am; and not who I even think I am. I am who God says I am. No matter who the world says you are or what other people’s or even your own assessment of yourself is, it is time to overcome that crisis by embracing in reality who God says you are, in His word. “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” Romans 12:2

No comments: