Monday, July 20, 2009

Mark and Heather Wells


More about Mark and Heather Wells


I first met Mark and Heather Wells earlier this year at a Chronological Bible Storying training session in Harare, Zimbabwe (we had missed each other in Bulawayo) I was so inspired by both of them and decided to visit them on their home ground in Oakham, Rutland, U.K. Mark is the chairman of the European Association of Innovating SME’s and a member of the Rutland Council. Heather is the County Council elected member of Rutland County Council and portfolio holder for children and young people’s services.
Mark is also a “chef” of note! Totally impressive! I caught up with him in and amongst him steaming vegetables, putting a chicken in the oven and chopping up herbs….
M.M: Tell me something of your background.
M.W: I was born in Wolverhampton but left when I was 2. I grew up in Surrey. I joined the Royal Navy at 17. I left after a year and spent another working in industry in England and Germany. I then joined the Merchant navy and stayed for 4 years. I did my Merchant Navy training in Southampton and that’s where I met Heather

M.M: Where and how did you meet Heather?M.W: We met in Portswood Church Southampton. I was 20. 4 years later we were married. We have 4 grown up children: Edward 27. He is married to Lindsey and they have a child. Paul 25 and he is dating Charlotte. Louisa 22 and she is dating David and Jacob who is 20.

M.M: How best would you describe your family life?M.W: Hectic when we’re all together but fun.


M.M: Great. What got you started in Information Technology business?M.W: I needed a job. I’m an engineer by profession. My big break in Information Technology came in 1986 – there was a job in I.T recruitment and it launched me into a successful I.T career. In 1989 I started a successful I.T business but in 2001 we closed it down.

M.M: How did you and Heather both get into Rutland County Council?M.W: I had a long time interest in politics and I got involved with the local office. I put my name and Heathers name down and we were both voted in. Heather’s involved in a “God thing” in the Council.

M.M: You visited Zimbabwe in March this year. Was that your first visit to Africa?M.W: No, I traveled to Cape Town in 1976 and I came to Zimbabwe in March this year. I loved Zimbabwe. I found it beautiful and adored the people. I was made to feel so welcome. It’s such a vibrant, challenging country. I visited many African countries ad the “bite” got me when I visited Kenya in 2001. I have a love and sense of calling to Africa.

M.M: Great. You are planning to come back to Zimbabwe in August?M.W: Yes. I’ll be helping set up business ventures in Bulawayo and working with New Frontier churches in Bulawayo.

M.M: That’s excellent. We really look forward to you and Heather coming back to Zimbabwe, especially to Bulawayo. See you soon!
Interviewed by Molly Manhanga

No comments: