Monday, July 26, 2010

One on one with Nigel Lurrie

Nigel Lurrie
Stephen and I had a wonderful time with Pastor Nigel Lurrie and his family in Hounslow as well as a lunch with Pastor Mark Macklin from Christian Community Church. Nigel was born in Harare, Zimbabwe and did all his schooling in Zimbabwe. He met his wife Caron whilst in Zimbabwe and they have two children: Joubert and Joi. Nigel was the worship and choir director at Living Waters Fellowship in Harare for 4 years. He is now based at Christian Community Church in West London.

M.M: What are you involved with at the moment?N.L: I am one of the elders in the church as well as one of the pastors. I oversee the music and training in the church. We also started up a Bible School for the church only and I have 2 classes on Tuesday evenings. I preach too and I’m involved in the day to day stuff in the office and the office team.


M.M: Busy man! You’ve been studying for a bit. What course are you doing?N.L: MA in Applied Theology.


M.M: How would you describe your family life?N.L: Challenging but rewarding and satisfying.


M.M: How do you juggle family life with studies?N.L: I have set times to use for studies i.e. early morning and late at night. I don’t study between 6am and 10pm because it’s my time with my wife Caron and my children.


M.M: Great! What have been the highlights of your ministry so far?N.L: The best is yet to come. There are quite a few things that I have enjoyed but I wouldn’t call it a highlight.


M.M: Any challenges you’d like to share?N.L: I have certain standards and I’d like to see them done. I find it a challenge trying to motivate people to go beyond where they are – to go further – to push the boundaries. People can do so much more and it’s the little details that matter.


M.M: What do you do to relax?N.L: Truth is, I don’t relax enough and I don’t do as much sport as I’d like to!


M.M: What is your favourite quote?N.L: John Maxwell “Leadership is always the problem and leadership is always the solution”


M.M: Who is your favourite Bible character?N.L: David – he dealt with challenges prior to being King and after his Kingship and Abraham because of what he represents.


M.M: Who has influenced you recently?N.L: Several books: “Leadership Challenge” by Kouzes and Posner, “The Servant Leader” by Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges, “The Prodigal God” by Tim Keller, “The Monkey and the Fish – Liquid leadership for a third important culture church” by Dave Gibbons


M.M: It’s been great chatting to you Nigel. We look forward to your trip to Zimbabwe. Be blessed!

By Molly Manhanga

No comments: