Monday, May 30, 2011

God has a purpose for our lives

Stephen Manhanga

Acts 13:36
“For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation fell asleep and was laid with his fathers .......”
1. God had a purpose for David’s life
2. The purpose was for his generation
3. David fulfilled His purpose before he died

God has a purpose for each one of us. Let us fulfil the purpose God has for us. Be obedient to God. Do you know your purpose? You were born for a reason. You are not a mistake or you are not an “accident”. You have a purpose for this generation.
Philippians 3:12 - 14 “Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.............But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”
Has God taken a hold of you? What or who is holding you? Paul says “I am running to take hold of that which God has for me.” People serve many things but few serve the purpose for which God has called them to. Let’s look at Mother Teresa – she went to Calcutta and worked amongst the poor. She knew what her purpose was and she fulfilled that purpose before she died. 92 year old Nelson Mandela has left a legacy of bringing the people of South Africa together. He has fulfilled his purpose. Are you and I fulfilling our purpose?

Characteristics required:
1. We need to be a man or woman of ONE thing. David said in Psalm 27:4 “One thing I have asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.” Paul said in Philippians 3:13 “Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead....” Jesus said in Luke 10:41 – 42 “But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”’ Be a man and woman of ONE thing. What are you known for – gossiping, stealing, womanising, praying, caring & visiting the sick, loving children?
2. We need to be a man or woman with zeal – with desire. “One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek after....” What do we desire? Are we chasing fantasies? Proverbs 28:19 “Whoever works the land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits will have plenty of poverty.” Proverbs 21:25 “The desire of the sluggard kills him, for his hands refuse to labour.” Even a lazy man has desires.
3. Have an unwavering focus. A focus that doesn’t move – that is stable. It doesn’t matter what comes our way – stand firm. Acts 20:24 “But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.”

The purpose of God calls for a sacrifice. Our rewards are in heaven. God is able. Genuinely put Him first. He has a purpose for your life.



By Molly Manhanga

No comments: