Monday, June 6, 2011

Meet Christina Smestad

Christina Smestad

It was wonderful getting to know Christina this weekend, especially when she volunteered to assist us with our Kidz Alive event at Crossroads on Saturday. Christina comes from America and she is part of a team that is ministering at The Theological College of Zimbabwe.

M.M: Tell me briefly about your background?
C.S: I went to Wheaton College and majored in English Literature. I then moved back home to Minnesota and worked in eye research at the Mayo Clinic for a couple of years. Then I came to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary last fall where I am pursuing an MA in Theology. I grew up in a Christian home and became a Christian at a very young age.

M.M: How has your experience been so far in Zimbabwe and your visit to Ebenezer?
C.S: I have enjoyed it very much. I’ve learnt alot about Zimbabwe and I have enjoyed meeting Christians here and seeing what God is doing through different ministries such as Isaiah’s Children’s Home, Our Neighbours and Ebenezer. I have not gotten sick (yet), and I think I am even adjusting to the power-cuts.

M.M: How did you feel about being part of the Crossroads event?
C.S: I am really glad I was able to go to the Kidz Event at Crossroads today. For me as an American, I felt like I was stepping into the “image of mission work in Africa surrounded by dozens of children in a rural church.” The children are friendly and sweet. I felt privileged to visit the event today.

M.M: I’m so glad you enjoyed it and had a mission experience in rural Zim. What is your favourite quote?
C.S: “He is no fool who gives the thing he cannot keep to gain what he can never lose.” Jim Elliot.

M.M: Thanks Christina. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.



By Molly Manhanga

No comments: