Wednesday, August 10, 2011

How to maintain your joy pt 2

Recap: Joy is important to God.

Romans 14:17 – 18 and Deuteronomy 28:47 – 48
Why would Jesus ask someone who has been bedridden for 38years “would you be made whole?” or why did He ask Blind Bartemaeus, “What would you have me do for you?” Do you want me to make you whole? Let’s give the enemy no room in our lives. Lets not hold on to pain and things. We were given the authority to get the enemy out of our lives. When we are facing challenges, let’s look at Jesus ministry: He was a sower, He was moving around preaching the word, teaching, healing people and so on. Not all the people were healed or delivered. A disciple is a follower of Jesus. They learnt from Him. They made mistakes but they got hands on experience. Let’s be with Jesus and seek Him.

Nehemiah 8:10 “..........for the joy of the Lord is our strength.” Lets not remain the same when God speaks. Jeremiah says, I have eaten your word.” The word of God needs to change us, change our countenance.

How do I maintain my joy?
1. Know that I have joy: If I am born again, I have joy in my spirit. One of the fruits of the spirit is joy. The Kingdom of God is within me and the kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Confess the word of God.
2. I need a revelation: Why am I here? When I’m in a difficult situation, it’s the revelation in my heart that will determine the outcome. David encouraged himself in the Lord. The revelation I have will see me through. Mark the man of peace. I may not know what my future holds but I know Him who holds my future in His hands. Look at Joseph – he went through terrible things but he trusted God. “God sent me here before you to preserve life.” When you know certain things, you won’t moan. It will stabilise you. It will change your unstable nature to a stable one. This revelation will change my very nature. Find out the ways and thoughts of God.
3. Focus: What am I looking at? Am I looking at myself, my problems, other people or am I focused on Jesus? We can suffer temporary setback but God hasn’t left us. The momentary light affliction is working for us. 11 Corinthians 4:16 – 18 “That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce forus a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.” Our focus – the secret of v17 is in v18 – it’s what Paul was looking at. I need to quit looking at things around me – the seen and start to look at the unseen i.e. God, His Word. I need to fix my eyes on Him. Let me please God. Proverbs 16:7 and Acts 2:47
4. Don’t compare yourself with others: I need to run the race that is set before me and look to Jesus. I can get inspired and encouraged by others but ultimately, I need to look to Jesus. Do what God has called me to do. God knows my journey. Let’s glorify God. You may be a Job, a Paul, a Joseph etc. Would you rather be applauded by man or approved by God? Luke 16:15.
5. My thoughts: My thoughts play a major role. Philippians 4:8 “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honourable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” Whatever a man thinks in his heart, so He is. The word of God tells us not to worry about our lives. My thoughts can attract or repel. Thoughts are simply unspoken words but God sees and hears them. Isaiah 55:8 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. And my ways are far beyond anything you can imagine.”
6. Thanksgiving and praise: Give thanks in all things. Ephesians 5:18 – 20 “ Acknowledge good things, Isaiah 12:3 “With joy you will drink deeply from the fountain of salvation!” Praise god and be a thankful person.
7. Trust God: Proverbs 3:5 – 6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” Trust has to do with the heart. The peace of God surpasses all understanding. God knows where I am? He knows my future. He knows what He is doing in me. Trust Him. Job 13:15. Stay hooked up to God.

Conclusion: Make up my mind to be happy. The land God has given me is a pleasant place. Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world. God has given to me a revelation. Start appreciating what He has given to me. God has a purpose for me. He has inscribed me on the palm of His hand.

No comments: