Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Meet Andy Thorn

Andy Thorn
I had “met” Andy Thorn via emails earlier this year through a mutual friend from Bishopstortford. I missed Andy when he visited Zimbabwe and came to Ebenezer earlier this year and it was wonderful finally meeting him when he came to our home recently. When in Zimbabwe, Andy is linked to City Pentecostal Church in Bulawayo. This is what he said……


M.M: Tell me about your background?A.T: I was born on 24/8/1963 and brought up in a Christian home. I schooled to “O” level standard and trained in insurance - an industry that I have been now working in for 30 years. I had a very stable up-bringing and traditional English lifestyle.


M.M: How best would you describe your family life?A.T: I am married with 4 children (2 older girls and 2 younger boys) and family life is hectic and busy at times. However, two of my children are now grown up –Patsi, 20, and Corrie, 18, and the boys are less difficult to look after than when they were younger as they are now 15 (Alex) and 13 (Joshua). So life is calmer now.

My wife is Ruth and I love her so much. She is the foundation upon which our family is built (though you could be super-spiritual about that kind of thing if you want) and I am proud of myself to have chosen so well in choosing Ruth!


M.M: Love it! What are the highlights of your time in Zimbabwe?A.T: This is my ninth trip to Zimbabwe since 2004. Everything is a hi-light this time. The anointing and favour of God has been upon me. We have been able to purchase a much needed project vehicle which has been a great blessing. We have employed the best couple,( local, young, enthusiastic and with some experience in the work) you could imagine to spearhead the Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) work in Cowdray Park. Everything I have touched has gone right, thank you Lord – I have completed all my tasks set before arrival and have been pushing further forward than I dreamt would be possible in the remaining time.

M.M: Praise God Andy! Any challenges you’ve faced?A.T: Road blocks! And being away from my wife and family for 7 weeks!


M.M: What is your favourite quote?A.T: (Typically long!) Roosevelt – “it is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.....who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have known neither victory nor defeat."

There, I have written it out and I am crying. It gets to me every time.


M.M: Who is your favourite Bible character?A.T: Too many to choose from! Perhaps David – violent, dangerous and fundamentally flawed – but stated as “a man after God’s own heart”. If you can sleep with your mate’s wife and then get your mate killed and marry the lady, and God doesn’t write you off, there’s hope for us all!


M.M: What is your favourite drink?A.T: In Zimbabwe? Got to be Coca Cola!! Followed closely by Mazoe Orange Crush.


M.M: What is your favourite meal?A.T: A good Indian curry – not too spicy hot, but hot enough.


M.M: What’s your favourite scripture?A.T: My favourite passage is Matthew 25:34 – 40 and my favourite verse is Matthew 25:40

M.M: Great chatting to you Andy. Enjoy the rest of your time in Zimbabwe.

By Molly Manhanga

No comments: