Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Around Zimbabwe with the Poes pt 1

Sam and Marlene Poe at The Hill Complex

It was really great deciding with Sam and Marlene that we would go on a trip together to Masvingo (my home town) and see the Zimbabwe Monument – formally known as the Zimbabwe Ruins, visit Mutare (Stephen’s birth place) and see the Bvumba Botanical Gardens which is very, very beautiful and dear to my heart as this is the place where Stephen proposed to me 14 years ago. From Mutare, we would visit Nyanga which is also beautiful and scenic. I love it!

We left Bulawayo and headed for Masvingo. The drive was smooth and Stephen and Sam had much to chat about while Marlene and I were enjoying the scenery and chatting about an upcoming Kidz Alive event for early January 2011. As we neared Masvingo, I felt such a love and warmth in my heart. I have such special and happy childhood memories. Seeing the home I grew up in was wonderful. I truly honour and thank God for my mum and dad. What a privilege to have had such loving parents!

We stopped at The Wimpy (fast foods outlet) and had lunch before we proceeded to The Zimbabwe Monument. I have been here countless times as I was growing up but, for the first time, I really felt like a “tourist” on this particular visit. The setting is just amazing. It was excellent climbing the Hill Complex – formally known as The Acropolis. I recalled the days when I was younger and used to run up the Hill Complex as a form of exercise. Now, climbing the steps on the Ancient Path was slow and interesting. Our guide did an excellent job of telling us the history of the place and how communication took place those years – a loud noise was made and it echoed through the hills and people knew that they were being summoned for a meeting. The Hill Complex was where the King lived together with other men. The Kings sister was the only female who lived on The Hill Complex as she was the “food taster” for the King. The King apparently had 200 wives (Rather much!! 199 too many) that would cook for him. Having many wives, children and cattle was a symbol of ones wealth. About 25, 000 people lived in that community of the Hill Complex and the Great Enclosure where the Queen and 199 wives lived.


Conical Tower


The scenery from the Hill Complex was stunning! Seeing Lake Mutirikwi – formally known as Lake Kyle, was wonderful. We then visited the Museum for more History – work people did, what they traded, religious beliefs, meaning of the birds and so on. Lastly, we visited The Great Enclosure where we saw the famous conical tower and were enlightened on the rituals that took place with the younger women. Oh yes, if any of the many wives “misbehaved”, they were disciplined by the Queen. That is so..................interesting!

Sam, Marlene, Stephen and I stayed at a place called “Lodge at The Ancient City”. It was beautiful and peaceful!

We head off to visit Lake Mutirikwi this morning, before proceeding on our journey to Mutare.


Lodge at The Ancient City


By Molly Manhanga

No comments: