Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Getting to know Bishop Trevor Manhanga

I've been asked on numerous occasions if I am related to Bishop Trevor Manhanga. My answer is YES. Bishop Manhanga is my brother-in-law. Much speculation has surrounded him and much has been said about the man through the media. In an attempt to not sound or appear biased, I present a small portion to you of the real Bishop Trevor Manhanga – the man behind the myth!



M.M: What is your favourite quote?
T.M: Being someone who reads widely and who enjoys reading, I find many quotes that I really enjoy so it would be difficult to say what my all time best quote would be. I will share one that I find very stimulating and encapsulates my approach to life and ministry is the following by George Bernard Shaw:

"This is the true joy of life – that of being used for a purpose recognised by yourself as a mighty one. That of being a force of nature, instead of a feverish clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.

I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle for me, it’s sort of a splendid torch which I’ve got to hold up for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.


M.M: How best would you describe your family life?
T.M: I have a wonderful family life – a loving wife and five great kids. We spend as much time together, drive long distances together, holiday together and though it is tough, I try and give each one of them enough time. That is not always possible but I give it my best shot. I also enjoy the company of my siblings – I come from a family of eight, four sisters and three brothers and nothing is more satisfying than getting together as a family, sharing a meal, a day together. We may not do it often due to each being in different places, but I know we all care for and look out for each other. Yes, we have disagreements – but that is all part of being family.


M.M: How long have you been in ministry?
T.M: I have been in ministry for 30 years.


M.M: What have been the highlights of ministry and any challenges you’d like to share?
T.M: As you can well imagine, thirty years has many great memories and substantial challenges. It would take pages to share all that but in a nutshell, nothing has given me more joy than to see people come to Christ and have their lives transformed – the change is just so awesome and inspiring it makes everything worthwhile. The challenges – they are there and perhaps what brings so much frustration is the pettiness of people, their inability to see anything more than themselves.



M.M: What are your views on politics and the church?
T.M: The Church can not divorce itself from politics. What it must do at all costs is be partisan, but it is a misnomer to say the church must be apolitical because everything we do in this world is the result of political decisions. Let us disabuse ourselves of the notion that the church and politics are the antithesis of each other. The exact opposite is true. The church should be a positive influence in the political realm.


M.M: What about those who say politics is a “dirty” game?
T.M: To those who say politics is dirty and therefore by inference the church should have no part of it, I simply contend that if it is dirty, that is even more reason for the Church and Christians to get involved to clean it up. We were never called to be light in an already fully lit building. We must be light where there is darkness. For the Church to have relevance in society it needs to get out of its Holy huddle and engage the world by being salt and light.


M.M: The media has portrayed many myths about you. Care to respond?
T.M: It is difficult to respond to myths for myths are not supported by facts, they simply have supporters. I simply ask those who care to know who I really am and what I am about to spend a day with me, walk with me, see where I go and what I do, who I interact with and then they will know who I am and not what some people in the media or wherever else think about me. Ultimately it is not what is portrayed in the media that counts but what the people who you minister to and help in their daily lives say and feel about you.


M.M: Life is about seasons we go through. What season are you going through in your life right now?
T.M: A season of establishing and preparation for the next half of my life. The first half has been great and the second half is going to be better than the first. I am strategically placing myself for the next move of God in my life – and I can’t wait. I know it is going to be awesome.


M.M: Amazing and thank you Bishop Trevor Manhanga. May God continue to have his hand on you and direct you in everything you do.





By Molly Manhanga

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats my Bishop. A true man of God, a Family man, a visionary.