Saturday, August 13, 2011

Movie Review: The Sound of Music

I was in one of those moods recently where I wanted to watch something timeless, something that didn’t stir up raw emotion, something nice and relaxing, with a bit of humour. As I looked through our DVD collection, I “stopped” at the Sound of Music. Yes, I’ve watched it many times before and directed it as a school play. It sure is a timeless classic, nice and for the whole family.

I enjoy Maria, played by Julie Andrews. Her “free spirit” and ability to enjoy life is great. I love the open space - the hills, the von Trapp children swinging in trees and toppling over in the canoe with joy at seeing their dad – Captain von Trapp. I really like all the fun they have. I’m amazed at Captain von Trapp’s (played by Christopher Plummer) autocratic and strict style of running his household. Poor children! Lining up to the sound of a whistle! I love how everything changes when music and laughter are brought into the von Trapp home by Maria. I love the romance that develops between Maria and Captain von Trapp. I’m a sucker for that - The language of love being expressed in ways other than the obvious......

As you can see, I really enjoyed watching the movie and singing along to those timeless songs. This true-life story is wonderful. Go on – watch it and enjoy its timeless beauty.






By Molly Manhanga





No comments: