Wednesday, November 18, 2009

One on One with Brett Edward Mills


Brett Edward Mills

It was great having the opportunity to chat to Brett Mills. I just LOVE seeing a young person so passionate about God. He has a heart to seeing young folk in the U.K radically changed for Christ. This is what he had to say:
M.M: Tell me about your background?
B.M: I am originally from London. I did my primary, high and college education. I started university but didn’t feel at that time that that was what God had called to me to. I went back to Hounslow to serve Pastor Mark and Pastor Nigel. I’m a Youth Pastor and I’m passionate about young people. It’s a tremendous blessing being part of a young leadership team. Amazing things are happening as I see young people come to the Lord, make recommitments and so on. I’m still hoping to go to University but I’m waiting on God at the moment.
M.M: How best would you describe your family life?B.M: Interesting. I lost my dad when I was 9 and my mum a year later. I was raised by my aunt and that is how I started going to church. My aunt is responsible for taking me to a church environment. I have an older brother. God is speaking to me about getting my family sorted. Once my family is sorted, it will be easier to have greater impact on others.
M.M: How long have you been in youth ministry?B.M: I’ve been in the youth from the age of 14 but really got involved from 15 by leading small groups. It continued from there.

M.M: What have been some of your highlights in Youth Ministry?B.M: My first highlight is me being saved. At one of our camps I accepted Jesus and have seen God’s goodness. As a leader I depend on God. Doing things in my own strength I come against problems and get nowhere but with God, I see the fruits – people come to know him. In my culture, the youth are rude and very insubordinate. But, I see how God is transforming that and opportunities are staring us in the face daily.
M.M: What are some of the challenges of the Youth?B.M: For me, it was confidence. My school life was not fantastic. I had negative words spoken to me. I was seen as “nerdy” and academic and my dress didn’t “fit” in with the other young people. It was an intimidating experience but, with God on my side, I realized that I can do all things with Him. Another challenge I find being a Young leader is being conscious of how much responsibility to put on young people. Young people are going to mess up big time and burn out but I find it such a privilege to lead. Having Pastor Mark and Pastor Nigel guidance is helpful and it makes things easier. With all the challenges, I realized that I have got to run to God and pray first.
M.M: What did you think of the service at Crossroads Community Church?B.M: It was an eye-opener culturally. The English people are so reserved while people here are so free. It was great seeing the ladies dancing. It showed a sense of freedom. You and Steve have a “can do” attitude to overcoming obstacles. Your team works incredibly well and God comes first. NOTHING stops you. The children are amazing. It was brilliant to see and culturally it was a real eye-opener. When I go back, I’ll see a difference with our home church but we are serving the same God.
M.M: How encouraging! What words of encouragement will you take with you back to the U.K?B.M: From here, I’ll tell the young people back home to seek God and be committed. Steve and you are so focused on God. You have faith to overcome obstacles and it makes me realize what a privilege to have a relationship with God.
M.M: Thank you so much Brett. Enjoy your time in Victoria Falls and have a safe journey back home.
Interviewed by Molly Manhanga

No comments: