Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bishop Trevor Manhanga celebrates his 50th birthday..

Bishop T.E.C Manhanga
It was just wonderful being able to celebrate Bishop Trevor Manhanga's 50th birthday with him this weekend. About 150 family, extended family and close friends were with him on Friday evening and on Saturday, about 600 + people gathered at Victory Tabernacle, Mutare, Zimbabwe to celebrate his birthday. Bishop Manhanga is loved and respected by many and it was so good listening to people from all walks of life honour him for the work he has done....his faithfulness, commitment, steadfastness to the things of God. He has impacted , influenced and touched many lives both urban and rural within Zimbabwe, within Africa as well as internationally. Words that kept coming up were that he was a man on integrity, humble, listens to people, visionary, honest etc. Bishop Manhanga is a preacher, teacher, consultant, leader and counsellor. In his own words, he is a man who stands up for injustice and truth.

This is what Bishop Manhanga wrote:

I guess at fifty it is as good a time as any for reflection, recognition, realignment and readjustment. In reflecting back on a life that begun as the seventh child and third son to my parents, Ernest and Amy Manhanga, I cannot thank them enough for being the vessel that God used to bring me into this world. Though my mother died whilst I was still young I have vivid, fond memories of a loving mother, and I thank God I was able to grow up and experience the love, hard work and dedication of a father who raised his children single-handedly and gave them a solid foundation from which to launch their respective lives. I am greatly indebted therefore to my family, my late parents, my wife Charmaine and five children - Ernest, Zoe, Trevor Jnr, Charissa and Christopher, my siblings (three brothers and four sisters and their families) who played, and continue to play a pivotal role in my life. I recognise the role my family has played in making me what I am today and my love and gratitude to them grows fonder each day.

Life by its very nature is about the relationships that one embraces and I am grateful and indeed privileged to have met some wonderful people along the way. Each relationship has enriched me and made me a better person and I am thankful for the vast array of wonderful people who have come into my life and the relationships that have ensued as a result. Yes, there have been some who came but have strayed, but more have stayed with me and even more have prayed for me. To all my friends, I thank you for your unflinching support and dedication.

Charmaine Manhanga honouring her husband
The ministry that was given to me to preach the gospel has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I had no idea when I answered the call to give my life in service of the Master, what it would entail and the road I would travel. What a joy it has been, what an honour to be used of God to make a difference in the lives of people, communities, and nations. I can truly say, it has been simply awsome. Yes, in fifty years of living and in thirty years of ministry I have seen some things and I have been through some things. Life by its very nature comes with great challenges, hurts, failures, pains and setbacks. But I am still standing because I have discovered that God is faithful. What He said in His word is true, and fifty years later, I can say through it all I have learnt to trust in Him and depend on Him. Just like the old hymn I learnt in Sunday School encouraged me to "Trust and Obey", I have never flinched from that and here I am, fifty years later not standing still, but still standing!

And so in my Jubilee year, I most definitely will realign myself and readjust certain things as I prepare for the second half! The first half has been an incredible journey, I expect the second half to be even greater. The best is yet to come!

No comments: