Friday, July 3, 2009

Relationships in Leadership pt 3

Bob and Peggy Kuest


Definition of Leadership

“Leadership is a relationship of service dedicated to assisting a group/person to reach their potential.”

Leadership is not a position or title as the world thinks. It’s a responsibility. This is a Godly opportunity to serve others and it begins with a relationship.

Leadership is by permission. Jesus had it and modeled it for us. If we come in with a power-based leadership, people will do the bare minimal. Nothing more, nothing less.

“I can follow a person who cares about me, who knows me. I give them permission to lead me.”

“I need to build relationship with people who genuinely know me and care about me as a person. You feel it and sense it. It’s not just words.”

Leadership is a relationship of service. Dedication follows suit. I Timothy 3:1. Desire that relationship of service for the right reason. Don’t get involved with the cares of this world. Leadership is HARD especially when you are following God’s way.

Some people believe that they are given the “gift” of criticism and they are generally seen as a burden or a problem. The easiest thing is to either ignore them or run away from them. Being a leader is tough. You stick it out. Build a relationship of service until God tells you to do something else.

Earlier we said that leadership is a relationship of service and that dedication follows suit. What is dedication? John 14:16 and John 16:14 we see dedication as assisiting. The Greek word is “para” meaning beside and “klyte” meaning come. Paraklyte meaning to come beside. To build, encourage, strengthen and make you successful.

No comments: