Monday, July 27, 2009

One on one with Jack English

Stephen Manhanga & Jack English

Stephen and I have known Jack since 2001. He came to Bindura, Zimbabwe for three weeks and it was then that we became friends. We love spending time with Jack, Judith(his wife) and their children. I caught up with him in Bishopstortford and this is what he said……..

M.M: Tell me about your background Jack?
J.E: I’m from rural Ireland and I grew up on a farm. I’m the eldest of 4 boys. I got saved in New York City in August 1974. After finishing college, I came over to London in 1975 and I have been living here ever since. I met Judith when I was 32 years old. We married about a year later. We have 3 children: Jacob 19, Hermione 16 and Simeon 12.

M.M: How would you best describe your family life?
J.E: It’s like a rollercoaster ride in many ways with it’s highs and lows.

M.M: What work are you into?
J.E: I’m an antique furniture restorer.

M.M: Do you find your job rewarding? If so, why?
J.E: Yes, I do. I was raised in a world of antiques. My grandmother was a collector of antiques. It’s in my blood.

M.M: You attend church at the Charis Centre. How long have you been going there?
J.E: 11 years

M.M: How would you describe your home church?
J.E: It’s a lively, reaching out and forward looking church. We have a good community of believers. Most of my friends are there. I’ve made good, genuine, lifelong friendships.

M.M: You came to Zimbabwe in 2001 with your friend Dick Hall. Several years have passed since then but what do you recall about that trip?
J.E: Coming to Zimbabwe was the turning point in my life. It broadened my spiritual and personal horizons. I’ve since had a deeper intimacy with God. It was where I met you and Stephen. It was also good seeing my friend being blown away by the experience and having fun. It was wonderful.

M.M: Excellent. Is there anything else you’d like people to know about you?
J.E: I find cycling very relaxing. I’ve participated in the cycle tour in France and Belgium as well as doing the London to Paris three times with my two friends. We have lots of laughs and its God blessing men being together. Our wives don’t mind. Next year we are planning to go to Holland.

M.M: GO FOR IT Jack!
Interviewed by Molly Manhanga

No comments: