Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Meeting the Fry family....

Gary and Carol Fry with their children
M.M: Tell me something of your background.
G.F: I was born in the Purbecks. My parents divorced when I was 3 and we came to Weymouth. I went to Radipole Primary School for 5 years. My mum remarried and we moved to Blandford. We lived on a farm. I went to Blandford High School. I excelled in practical things like woodwork and metal work. I worked for a local farmer where I heard the gospel. Carol (my wife) and I met when we were 16. Carol was brilliant in school and is really intelligent. She worked for Barclays Bank for 10 years. I went to Australia and after I came back Carol and I started ‘going out’ at 21. We had a dance and 4 years later, we married. We became Christians just before we married. We have 4 children; Sam 14, Megan 12, Jake 9 and Joey who is 7.

M.M: How best would you describe your family life?
G & C.F: LOVE It. We gave our family to God and have been blessed with 4 children who are our best disciples. God has anointed us as a prophetic family – a family for him. Our greatest passion is family – being a family on mission. The biggest challenge of family life is that the children see us for what we REALLY are: the joys, difficulties, our first reactions and so on. We need to be humble with our children.
Sam (14): Family is our identity. It’s a massive part of our life. It’s good except when we get disciplined.

M.M: Love how real you are with your family. How long have you led the Weymouth Family Church?
G.F: We planted the church in September 2002 and handed it to Steve Hunter in October 2008. We led it for a total of 6 years.

M.M: You are now in Dorchester. What prompted you to move?
G.F: God was leading us. We just knew it was time to hand over Weymouth Family Church. God sent us to Dorchester to bring stability and help with the leadership team. The time will come when God will open up whatever is next for us.

M.M: What have been your highlights in ministry?
G.F: Weymouth Family Church – seeing it planted, grow and going beyond where we left it is a highlight. It’s a privilege to be paid - to love Jesus and tell others about Him. I get time with my family. Part of ministry is family and my greatest passion is to see as many people saved as possible.

M.M: What has been your lowlight in ministry?
G.F: The toughest thing is relational breakdown especially when the relationship is not restored.

M.M: That can be really painful. From your years of experience, do you have any nuggets for leaders?
G.F: “Pride is a leader’s worst enemy. Humility is a leader’s greatest friend.” Remain humble, that’s the greatest lesson. Pick others up; see the good in others and all around us. Choose to be grateful. My wife Carol is totally amazing. I couldn’t do anything without her.

M.M: Excellent nuggets. Thank you Gary. Be blessed as you and your family continue serving the King of Kings.
Interviewed by Molly Manhanga

No comments: