Monday, July 20, 2009

Mick and Theresa Richardson

Mick and Theresa Richardson

Stephen and I first met Mick and Theresa Richardson last year when we visited Weymouth. We spent a few days in their home and loved it. They are incredibly hospitable people. Mick is on the leadership team at Weymouth Family Church. I had the opportunity to catch up with Theresa….
M.M: Tell me something of your background.T.R: I was born in Balham London and raised in a Catholic family. I didn’t always have a happy childhood. My father was a heavy drinker and easily became an angry man. The environment I grew up in was angry at times, although my mother was always peace-loving and was always there for us. I later realized that my relationship with my father had affected me and God had to bring healing. I became a Christian at 18 through friends. Soon after this I also left home to live with a Christian couple at whose baptisms I had become a Christian. I met Mick when I was 20. He lived in the same area. It was love at first sight. I knew I’d marry him. We married two and a half years later and have 2 sons. Neil is 27, married to Cheryl, with a daughter, Abigail soon to be one year old in August; and our other son Sean is 24. He lives with Mick and me.

M.M: How best would you describe your family life?T.R: We are adjusting to our sons being older. One of my sons is married and I miss them as he lives in London. It’s lovely being a grandparent. I’m discovering that the grandparent relationship is a special one. My grand daughter is very peaceful.

M.M: You moved from Putney Community Church to Weymouth. What instigated your move?T.R: God. While living in Putney, we had a holiday home in Weymouth. Mick was an elder in Putney. We visited Weymouth Family Church and developed relationships. We felt God joining us with people in Weymouth and we eventually moved here.

M.M: How long was Mick the Elder before you moved?T.R: Mick became an elder in 2000, but led the church for just over 2 years whilst we were without a full-time leader. Mick continued during that time as a secondary school teacher.

M.M: What have been the highlights of ministry?T.R: There are many highlights and I’ll share a few: a) Involved with young lads into substance abuse. We led a Youth group with them. They are the sorts of children that the church didn’t find easy building bridges. People found it hard to understand those sorts of children. They heard the gospel but we don’t know what God is doing with them. b) Marriage Pastoral Care. We enjoyed it and like working with couples. c) Worship – we often led worship together.

M.M: Fantastic. Any challenges in ministry?T.R: Finding ourselves too busy at times to spend enough time with each other. Not really prioritizing and making time with Mick. We constantly need to learn how to get the balance right, otherwise my weakness is that I could resent Mick being in leadership.

M.M: Any final comments?T.R: I’m realizing more and more my weaknesses if I don’t spend time with God. Everything I do I need to wait on God and his Holy Spirit. I have a deep desire to spend more time with him and to spend more time reading his word.

M.M: Thanks Theresa. You and Mick are truly a blessing in our lives. Be blessed as you continue to serve Him.
Interviewed by Molly Manhanga


No comments: