Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Looking at Andrew and Katy Phillips

Katy Phillips
I first met Andrew when he visited Zimbabwe in 2003. He came to stay with Stephen and me for a few days. I met Katy, his wife via email when I was still in the Educational field and we became great friends. It was excellent catching up with both of them and hearing more about “Fusion” – founded and pioneered by Katy Phillips.

M.M: Tell me something of your background.
K.P: I was born in Bristol and Andrew in Salisbury. I was born into a Christian family and had a strict upbringing. I ran away from home when I was 17years and I met Andrew at a British bike rally. Andrew and I were friends for a long time. We married 4 years after meeting. 2 weeks before my wedding, God spoke to me about being “unequally yoked”. I gave Andrew to God and when I looked at him, he was on the floor crying. Andrew gave his life to the Lord 2 weeks before we married. We have 4 children: Hannah 22 who is married to James, Tom 18 who is in the Royal Marines, Dan 15 and Eleanor 13.

M.M: How best would you describe your family life?K.P: It’s much easier as the children grow up and leave home.

M.M: What work are you involved in now?K.P: Generally, I’m a Parent and Family Support Worker in a Primary school and co-author of Fusion with Karin Todd. I deliver training days.

M.M: Explain what Fusion involves.K.P: Fusion is a universal programme aimed at parents and carers. It empowers parents with new skills and strategies seeing them as parents in their own unique family. It goes into Schools, Children’s Centres and Churches.

M.M: WOW! In your opinion, is Fusion successful?
K.P: Fusion has been going for a year and we have 200 trained Fusion facilitators. Fusion is available in every school in Dorset.

M.M: Fantastic. What are the highlights of Fusion?K.P: It’s a privilege working with parents and seeing them established back into their role as parents.

M.M: Any lowlights?K.P: Not really.

M.M: Any final comments or recommendations?K.P: You can read up on us on our website www.betterparents.co.uk

M.M: Thanks Katy. You are truly a blessing in the lives of many people and may God take “Fusion” far and wide.


Andrew Phillips with his daughter Eleanor


By Molly Manhanga
 

No comments: