Sunday, July 26, 2009

Up close with Evan and Tracy Rogers


Mark Absolom, Evan & Tracy Rogers


Evan and Tracy Rogers were based at Jubilee Church in Cape Town where Evan was the worship director for many years. They moved from Cape Town to Dubai where they are both teaching and Evan leads worship. I had the privilege of interviewing Evan and Tracy in Poole and getting to know them a little more.
M.M: Tell me about your background?
E.R: I was born in East London and I’m the son of an Anglican Minister. I went to Port Elizabeth before moving to Cape Town. I met Tracy through the church at a summer camp. Tracy was born in Cape Town. I met Tracy when she was 16 and I was 20. We married 4 years later.

M.M: What instigated your move from Cape Town to Dubai?
E.R: I was in Jubilee Church for 20 years and felt we needed to move. We felt an international calling. Dubai was a God thing. We are crazy about our dog and so he came too. Job wise – we are both teaching in the same school. We put out many fleeces and they all came through.

M.M: Tell me about the church and life in Dubai?
E.R: There are 40 nationalities represented in the church. There are more Asian people and it’s a nice change, fresh……, new……..The church feels like it has momentum, it’s healthy and vibrant. The people are very nice – warm, friendly.

M.M: Excellent. Any nuggets on worship in general?
E.R: We are called to be a joyful people, expressing praise freely and without hindrance.

M.M: What did you think of the service at Gateway?
E.R: It was good to see people willing to step out of their comfort zone. The multi-coloured glory of God is being reflected in the diverse expression of praise. I felt there was a good sense of freedom and no feeling of resistance. People embraced something different, a willingness to cross cultural boundaries and celebrate.

M.M: Quite a memorable service. What are your thoughts on people worshipping “in spirit and truth?”
E.R: Worshipping in spirit and truth is a revelation of Him. He will bring forth worshippers of him by his spirit. We worship who we serve. I’m a praise singer of the one I worship. I try to express praise that is appropriate to who God is, from a Biblical expression, rather than from cultural comfort zones. I like to sing songs that are God focused rather than me focused. This is inspired from the truth of who God is and what He has done in our lives.

M.M: What is your motivation for writing songs?
E.R: I express what God is speaking to me about. It’s a truth needing to be expressed. I write happy songs because there is a lack of them. It’s inspired by truth and expressed through writing songs. Writing songs is a medium of teaching people – teaching Biblical points of view through songs.

M.M: Any thoughts on your future?
E.R: I’m excited about the future and what God has in store.

M.M: Thank you so much Evan and Tracy. May God continue to use you in Dubai and may the people experience Him in a new way through worship.

Interviewed by Molly Manhanga

No comments: