Saturday, March 17, 2012

Up close and personal with Kristin Childress

Kristin Childress

Kristin was one of the people on the Life Change Team and it was wonderful getting to know her better.

M.M: tell me about your background?
K.C: I was born in Alabama and raised in Texas. I did my schooling in Nashville, Tennessee. My older brother is married and lives in Dallas and so does my mother. My dad passed away. I have a degree in Sociology. I work 2 jobs - one as the secretary in the church office at Lifehouse Church and the other at a coffee shop called 'Hot and cold'. It's a fun place to work as we sell coffee and ice-cream.


M.M: is this your first time to Africa and to Zimbabwe?
K.C: This is my 2nd time to Africa. I've been to Nairobi in Kenya and now I'm in Zimbabwe. This is my first visit to Zimbabwe.


M.M: What were your thoughts on the Champs Kingdom Advance Conference?
K.C: It was abit overwhelming but in a good way. I met many people from different parts of Africa. God is doing lots through Agriculture, Health, Business and so on. It was encouraging and challenging at the same time.I have heard about Foundations for Farming and I'm blown away by the principles. It is a good programme.


M.M: I agree. How best would you describe your time at Crossroads?
K.C: Great. I was really looking forward to coming here. The city churches are like at home. I love the people of Africa - the root culture. It's encouraging to see how different we are and yet so similar i.e. hearing from God, prophesying,prayer etc. It seems so normal and common out here. I enjoyed Kidz Alive your children's work. I feel so challenged to tell people that the spiritual is real. we have so much to fill our attention in the USA. It's very encouraging and refreshing to be out here.


M.M: what books have influenced you recently?
K.C: It's a book on relationships called "Relationships: A Mess Worth Making" by Paul David Tripp. The concept of the book is people having a willingness to have real relationships which will be messy because people are different. We need to work through it because God called us to live in community. The other book is "Let The Nations Be Glad" By John Piper. It's a really helpful book.


M.M: What do you do for fun?
K.C: I cook and bake. I can spend all day in the kitchen. I also love talking to people and being with children. They are so much fun.


M.M: What's it like being part of the Life Change Team?
K.C: This trip is about learning and taking in the culture. The question now is what do I do now? it's good to listen to people before doing things. I need to pray and see what God has - learn, see and help. I have a purpose here.


M.M: What words would you have for your friends and people back in the States?
K.C: My first emotion is that I'm incredibly humbled. People have faith in real hard circumstances and yet they still pray for others. I'm real humbled, uplifted and challenged. This is the body of Christ....it's multi racial and ethnic. this is what heaven will look like. Cross cultural experiences can be uncomfortable at times.


M.M: Thanks so much Kristin. I pray that God will speak to you clearly so that you know exactly what to do next.


By Molly Manhanga

No comments: